WHO CAN JOIN?
Membership of the European Society of International Law is open to all those with an interest in international law who are interested in contributing to the realisation of the goals of the Society. There are no limitations of nationality or qualification.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Membership of the European Society of International Law entitles you to:
- An optional subscription to the European Journal of International Law which includes both the print version and the online version (four issues per year)
- Full participation in ESIL events, with reduced registration fees for ESIL members
- Eligibility to join ESIL Interest Groups and to participate in their activities
- Participation in the election of office-holders of the Society
- Quarterly Newsletters, regular ESIL Reflections, and monthly e-mail updates on the activities of the Society
Please note: the first issue of the European Journal of International Law is circulated in March or April each year.
Membership of the society is for the calendar year (January to December) regardless of the date of joining the society. All members joining / renewing their membership of ESIL between 1 November and 31 December will be accorded membership for the following year.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
There are four categories of membership: Lifetime member, Regular member, Retired member, and Student member.
Fees for 2015:
Regular membership: € 115
5-year regular membership from 2015 to 2019 inclusive: € 500
Regular membership for retired persons: € 85
Student membership*, with an EJIL subscription: € 60
Student membership*, without an EJIL subscription: € 30
* Student membership is open to those members who are studying at undergraduate or postgraduate level or studying for a Ph.D.
Notice to our UK-based members: ESIL has been included in HMRC’s list of approved bodies for income tax relief for membership subscriptions (List 3). This means inter alia that, subject to the rules of your home institution, you may be able to use your research or travel allowance to pay for your ESIL membership. The list will be updated later in 2015, but as the approval is in effect you/your institution’s financial officer can obtain income tax relief by quoting HMRC reference T1644/30/2014/HEM.
HOW TO JOIN / RENEW MEMBERSHIP:
A new ESIL membership system was introduced in January 2015. All members should REGISTER ONLINE, indicating their membership status. The first time you use the new online system, you should create an account with your membership details.
Fees can be paid by credit card using the online payment system or by bank transfer.
If you have any questions about your membership, please write to the ESIL Secretariat.
CHANGE OF ADDRESS?
If you wish to change your mailing address after you have subscribed to the European Journal of International Law, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org (include your subscription number if you know it).
If you change your email address, just send an email to email@example.com so that ESIL correspondence reaches your new email.